First, you should also make sure that your system default printer is
set to be the Acrobat printer -- if it isn't, you could be working
with fonts that aren't available to you when you make the PDF -- if,
for instance, they're resident on a physical printer down the hall,
but not on your computer.

And ince you mentioned that you're on XP, an important starting point
would be to apply the PostScript Hotfix from Microsoft.
The write-up is at
http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2008/07/hotfix_for_framemaker_1.html
and the fix itself is at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952909/en-us