Just inherited a set of manuals that have 238 (yes, I really did count them) paragraph formats. Let's not even go there on character formats, cross-ref formats, and etc. In 20+ years of working with Frame I have never seen anything like this.

These are ~100-page manuals, so as far as I can tell most of the styles are not used, just accumulation from years and years and years of one person iteratively adapting a single template, just adding new stuff whenever she felt it was needed.

How on earth can these books be cleaned up without losing things like cross refs and index markers? I have clean, well-built templates the info could be moved into, but how to do that while keeping the template clean? Would the best solution be just bite the bullet and blow everything out to plain text and start over?

--
Tori Muir
tm...@spot-on-creative.com • 650.430.8674