From: Scott Prentice <s...@leximation.com>
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com <framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Sent: Fri, Feb 4, 2011 8:52 am
Subject: Re: Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Keep in mind your underlying reason for trying to differentiate between
different types of phone systems. Just because a phone is "wired" doesn't mean
that it's POTS .. an IP-based phone system may look just like a POTS system,
but technically, isn't (is VOIP considered a "landline" .. I dunno). Also, you
might have a "mobile" phone that's not really cellular, but radio or other form
of "wireless". I'm no expert in these things, but the line isn't always clear,
especially to the average reader.

I'd be careful in even bothering to differentiate between the various systems
unless it is really crucial to what you're documenting. No matter how you
describe it, unless you go into great technical detail, it's likely to be
confusing or wrong for some situations.

Cheers,

...scott

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/writing4business%40aol.com