I don't know about FM 10, but in 7.2 you can accomplish this by defining a
character format to use the Zapf Dingbats (or another typeface like Wingdings)
font and apply that as part of the autonumber, and then use different
characters, like the letter n (solid square) or u (diamond) in the numbering
string.
– Les Smalley