Fred Ridder wrote:

> If you were to use multiple spaces in a row, the answer would be "yes,
> of course". But the point is to use non-breaking spaces in place of
> normal spaces in every location where you don't want the
> title/heading/caption to break. If the line needs to break, it will do
> so at the only place where it can: the plain space you leave in the
> desired location.

Non-breaking spaces work very well for controlling where headings break in the
TOC. But if you use any cross-reference formats that include the <$paratext>
variable, remember that the non-breaking spaces will appear in those
cross-references, too, and that can lead to some ugly line breaks in body text.

I suggest using non-breaking spaces in headings sparingly. Don't put them
everyplace you don't want the line to break. Generate the TOC without them.
Then, if a line breaks at a bad spot, use a non-breaking space only where it's
needed to force the line to break at a better place.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom