One additional thought --- are the fonts there and not corrupted?

I've had enough problems with certain font files getting corrupted that I have a zipped set of them stored on a different drive for rapid replacement and I usually run chkdisk or SpinRite on the drive before reinstalling to make sure I'm not accidentally saving things to an iffy sector.

Grant