I was only evaluating FrameMaker 10's XML / DocBook / DITA features to
see if it made sense to use XML source instead of .fm for new
projects.

Nobody pointed me to DITA-FMx. Sounds like it would be worth
evaluating if I needed to do DITA.

If I did not already own FrameMaker the need to buy a plugin to do
something Adobe claims it can do out of the box ... well, I guess
that's no different than its save-as-HTML feature or the useless
version of WebWorks they used to bundle.