Hi, Steve.

Fred's method works well and I use it when the number of changes are relatively
low.

However, for large numbers of changes, your method of editing the MIF file is
what has worked best (and usually quickest) for me - it has the side benefit of
providing a "MIF Flush" that can clean up the .FM files too.

Sometimes, using a simple text editor with global search and replace is easiest
for these kinds of actions.

I would only add one additional comment: Start by backing everything (the .FM,
.MIF versions, etc.) up carefully and retain that snapshot of the files for a
long time, in case something goes awry, or until you have had a chance of
verifying the changes!!

I usually just create a sub-folder below the primary location of the book and
.fm files, named with the date and why I took that "snapshot", and then saving
a copy of all files associated with that document into it. Sometimes, I do the
same kind of copy snapshot before I begin a long editing session, in case I
decide to discard some work, etc.

Later, I delete these sub-folders ... usually "at the end" once the document is
released, etc.  Disk space for these snapshots is relatively inexpensive
nowadays. :)