From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Robert Lauriston
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 2:02 PM
To: rebecca officer; framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Single sourcing from Frame and a wiki ... or something ...

I've spent much of the past year trying to figure out a similar transition.
Short answer, the tools aren't mature enough for a $20K budget. Long answer:

Confluence 4.x and MindTouch Core are the two wikis I've found that seem
workable.

Migrating large amounts of existing FrameMaker content to either is
problematic. Here's my most recent status report on my lack of success in bulk
migration from FrameMaker to Confluence (my status with MindTouch is almost
exactly the same):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+4+further+discussion?focusedCommentId=294486511#comment-294486511

Version control is the other huge sticking point. Except for a few unusable
prototypes, I have found no wiki with document-level version control a la
branching in Subversion or Perforce. The Confluence docs team just makes a
static copy of the current release for the next release. I'd really prefer to
have a dynamic system where unchanged pages were shared across multiple
versions of a document and branched as necessary.

"status tagging (e.g.> draft/final)": can be easily accomplished with native
features

read-only access: native feature, but note license terms (MindTouch allows
unlicensed read-only "community" users to post comments and rate pages,
Confluence does not)

delivery as PDF: Confluence, if the native feature doesn't cut it you can use
K15t Scroll (which also sells an ePub utility); MindTouch Core (which is itself
free) uses Prince, which is excellent but not cheap.

AutoDesk has a hybrid system that does more or less everything you're talking
about and more, but they spent a lot of money on it. The DITA XML source is
stored in SDL Trisoft, which handles versioning and topic reuse. The tech
writers author in XMetal. They use various tools to generate standard online
help formats and PDFs. Those portions of the system were in place before they
added the wiki.

MindTouch built them a connector that populates the MindTouch TCS wiki from
Trisoft. They also have a connector that can pull user-contributed content back
into Trisoft from MindTouch, though that requires some cleanup. The wiki can
generate PDFs on the fly.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/jsgammato%40imprivata.com