Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:17:46 +0000
From: Laura Fergusson <l.fergus...@codestuff.net>
To: "framers@lists.frameusers.com" <framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: Translation question

I have a question: Is there a case for just having ONE book file for this
guide, which contains files which have both French and English in them (hidden
or displayed by conditional text)?
I can't decide if this is a good idea or not, or if I should instead have two
completely separate books for the English and French guides.

This will not be a one-off, btw, all guides for this division need both French
and English versions.
None of them seem horribly long or overly complicated.

It may be that I should definitely maintain two separate versions - but I'm
just not sure.

I've always done each language as their own chapter within a book, unless they
will actually be distributed as two different books/manuals/files with two
different part numbers (then they would just be two books).  With any
translations, you cannot always assume that text will be the same length as the
language it was authored in, which can mean you'll have differences in layouts,
page breaks, spacing, etc.

- VJW