Alison Craig wrote:

> I have been given a new patent to list in my documentation - but it's a
> patent we have legal permission to use. It does not belong to us.
>
> Per the attached, all of our patents are listed on title pages and in a
> Chapter 1 section called (unsurprisingly) Trademarks and Patents (in
> tiny documents without cover and title pages, the patents are included
> in the first page footer).
>
> My first inclination is to list the 3rd party patent only in manuals
> with the Chapter 1 Trademarks and Patents section - something like "The
> following third party patents are used in SonixGPS(tm) software: xxxxxxx."
> (Note that SonixGPS(tm) will be added to the Ultrasonix trademark list
> before the next manual release.)
>
> Does anyone have any patent "credit" experience that could shed some
> light on how to handle this? As I haven't actually been given the name
> of the company from whom we "licensed" use of this patent, I can't
> include it. Am I supposed to?

Who gave you this task? Do they expect you just to insert the patent number?
Yes, you need to specify the name of the company from whom you licensed this.

In general, a company from which you license technology will have specific
requirements for what your company must do regarding the license and any
associated trademarks. For instance, we use the Java Platform in our products,
and Oracle requires that the Java logo and trademark acknowledgement be
included in all docs in a very specific manner and that the Java license terms
be appended to our end user license agreement (EULA) so that our customers are
aware of and bound by Oracle's license terms.

Does your product have a EULA? Do you have a legal department that can guide
you? These aren't things you should just make up.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richard.co...@polycom.com