Thank you and others for the great responses. This is going to take some
experimenting.

Pam Harper

-----Original Message-----
From: Combs, Richard [mailto:richard.co...@polycom.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 10:20 AM
To: Pam Harper; framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Hyperlink or cross reference to another book

Pam Harper wrote:

> Can I add a link in one book to another book? How would I do it in
> Frame 10. I want to reference a specific section in a another book and
> am not sure how to do it, despite searching for answers on this.

I only vaguely remember how to do this, but I don't see any responses. Assuming
your deliverables are PDF, I think using a cross-reference in FM will work if
(1) both books and all the files in them are open when you create the two PDFs,
and (2) in their final destinations, the relative path between the PDFs is the
same as the relative path between the FM books.

> If I
> use a cross reference, what would I select for a Building Block in the
> list?

The good news: You don't need to define a new cross-reference format.
Presumably you already have a cross-reference format for pointing to a numbered
section heading (using the <$paranum> building block). The bad news: I'm pretty
certain there's no way to include the title of the other PDF in the
cross-reference format (how would FM know what it's going to be?). I guess you
could insert a second cross-reference to the <$paratext> of the book's title
paragraph.

You can include the <$filename> (name minus extension) or <$fullfilename>
building block, but that's the FM chapter file name. It may or may not get
translated into the PDF file name when you create the PDFs of the two books as
specified above -- I'm not sure. Try it. Or create a cross-reference format
specifically for xrefs to a particular book, with a definition something like:
"section <$paranum> in MyOtherBook"

HTH, and sorry for the vagueness and uncertainty. Maybe somebody else can
confirm, clarify, or correct as needed. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom