There are arguments to be made for both the bitmap (Photoshop) and the
vector (Illustrator) component.

I happily work with either PS CS5 (which came with my TCS 3.0) or with my PS
CS6 (which came with my Creative Suite collection). The "upgrade" is largely
irrelevant to me, but I appreciate having  if I choose to explore the new
features. My point is that for most technical writers, the latest and
greatest PS or Illustrator is gravy; but it is nice to have relatively
recent versions of both.

It might benefit Adobe to adopt a policy of addressing both needs by release
latest and greatest versions of PS and Illustrator on an alternating
schedule with the Technical Communications Suite. So TCS 3 included PS and
TCS4 includes Illustrator. TCS5 would include the latest PS at time of
release, while TCS 6 would include the latest Illustrator. That way they
restrict the licenses a bit and yet meet the basic need for both items. Of
course, this would require that installing an upgrade of the TCS would not
disable or require the removal of the previous versions software.

As for those who are limited by when they "hop on the train", this thread
amply shows that there are other options to make up for whatever package you
don't get at the point of departure.

Craig

Subject: Re: More bad news on TCS4: no longer includes Photoshop

Illustrator is a better choice as a component? Really? Ever try editing
hundreds of screen snaps for software documentation in Illustrator?

Either it's a significant mistake by the marketing team, or a significant
win by the marketing team as it greatly increases Photoshop licenses....

Art Campbell