On the one hand, you're right, Rick... if I'd known in advance that I
was going to trip over some obscure bug in the Acrobat form wizard.

But, on another hand, you're unaware of the whole situation. A more
accurate assessment is: "they will be spending several tens of thousands
of dollars on a DITA+XML solution, and on a VM server for screen
captures, and on new hires; and so an application-specific plugin that
will be used for at most six months is a bad investment". When this
solution works, it will be used by anywhere from four to ten others, so
it's not just a one-off--now we're over a few hundred and into a few
thousand (and no, I don't think they like the idea of a single seat
being the gateway for all production--I wouldn't).

Further, Adobe claims all this IS possible with my tools, but it doesn't
actually do what it says on the tin (or it's so kerfluffled by the
notion of a "portrait" 7.5 x 5.5 that it stops working right--same
diff).

Finally, if there's coding/scripting to be done, I'd rather work on the
XSL transform to do this instead of an add-on. Again, moving forward
with their future system, not "patching" a system being sunsetted.

So sometimes, it's not as simple as dropping a few hundred dollars and
shrugging. Sorry if I came off harsh or whatever.. but, yes, I know
there's three or four different add-on products that can do it (I'm told
every time I ask a question on this list).

David