On 24/01/2013 11:05 AM, Combs, Richard wrote:

Or for a comprehensive, permanent solution, you can modify any and
all format definitions to suit you (as well as which formats exist)
in the behind-the-scenes template that FM uses when you create a new
document without selecting a template ("Use Blank Paper"). It's named
shellnew.fm, and it's located in the fminit subdirectory of your FM
installation directory. Just open it, redefine everything as you like
(including the defaults for the table formats), and save it. From
then on, new docs will have exactly the formats, fonts, defaults,
etc., that you want.

Ah, if only that were true! I've been stymied trying to find the file to change that would result in new Portrait, Landscape, or Custom documents that don't have hidden Times New Roman and that DO remember I want my ruler in inches.

I just modified shellnew.fm with your suggested changes, and there is no effect on a new document. The table formats still use Times New Roman, the ruler is still in cm.

There is another file, "custom" with no extension, also in the fminit directory. I am able to use your instructions to change the default table properties in that file, and happily, the effect is evident in new Portrait, Landscape, and Custom documents. The bloody ruler, even though in inches in the custom file, and even though Units are set to inches in the Custom Blank Paper dialog, resolutely refuses to display inches. It's Adobe's (metric) way or the highway, I guess.

s.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator