Hi Ed...

Yes .. the cost is definitely related to the complexity. If you have FO developers in-house, that will help a lot. The key is that you need a solid understanding of XSLT, plus you need to fully understand page layout concepts, and on top of that the FO language itself is huge and complex. If you want to learn FO, I highly recommend finding a way to take Ken Holman's class "Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO" (see http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/). This will give you a good solid base from which to start.

A lot of XSLT developers think that they can also do FO development. That's where you run into trouble. There's a lot more involved.

However .. regardless of your ability to create and maintain FO stylesheets, you can never achieve the same level of formatting with FO that you get from FM. You can get close, and if close is good enough (along with other benefits of FO), then FO can be a good solution.

Cheers,

...scott