EPS, AI, and PDF are all essentially the same file with different options - not
really!

Illustrator files input into FrameMaker depend on the Illustrator file being
saved with PDF compatibility. It is the PDF that FrameMaker really deals with
in that file, not the actual private Illustrator information.

For PDF files (and thus Illustrator files) imported into a FrameMaker document,
the PDF content is converted internally into EPS and a high resolution
"preview" is created from the PDF.

If importing EPS worked, but importing PDF didn't and the original artwork
contained live transparency (as in drop shadows, etc.), then the difference
would be that when creating EPS from Illustrator, transparency is flattened
immediately since PostScript doesn't support live transparency at all! The PDF
probably still had the live transparency which should have been properly
flattened when the PDF was imported and internal EPS was created. If this
happened with the current FrameMaker release and you are able to (1) repeat the
problem and (2) share the files with Adobe, I would advise you to report this
as a serious bug.

            - Dov

[cid:image001.png@01CE1FFF.81A419E0]

Dov Isaacs
Principal Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated

+1 408.536.2896 (tel)
+1 408.242.5161 (cell)
isa...@adobe.com<mailto:isa...@adobe.com>

345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA  95110-2704 USA
http://www.adobe.com<http://www.adobe.com/>

Feel free to print this e-mail if your needs dictate hard copy.
There is no need to feel guilty about printing!
Paper is renewable and recyclable.

ISAACS-OFFICE.corp.adobe.com