(I am not sure I _entirely_ understand what you mean.)

If you mean "one paragraph format" and "one character format" (if you want to
use an icon), then, yes, that is true.

But my approach gives you more flexibility in one way. Using an autonumber
requires a _separate_ paragraph format for each type of icon you want - i.e.,
each with its own auto-number sequence. That can work, of course, but if you
have enough _different_ icons, then my approach is simpler, I believe (as long
as the icons are all from in a single given font - like ZapfDingbats for
example).

Your choice, of course! :)

> That would be two tags. I want just one tag since that's more straightforward
> for single-sourcing to various outputs.