Actually, they disappear IN THE MIDDLE OF WORKING on a single document/book
or multiple documents, not just on close! What a sad state of user
interface affairs FM has fallen into. :-)

I now realize that the "workspace menu" everyone keeps referring to is
actually the button that reads "Authoring"!

And while I can restore most of what I want to be in there, for some reason
I can't get Object Properties back there, it only wants to exist as a
free-standing window/part of the designer (which also won't move into the
docked set). Sigh.

Thanks all,
Karen