This seems like it should be simple and done routinely by many others.

I have an image of a flammable substance label.  It has a pantone red, a
pantone yellow, and black. I want to use the image in a Framemaker document
that will be sent for commercial printing using "Spot Color" not process
printing.  How can I accomplish this?

The image is an Illustrator file. I save the file to PDF, load it into
Frame 10, save the Frame file as PDF, open in acrobat pro and use Advanced
> Print Production > Output Preview to see that the image is a mix of CMYK
not my spot pantone colors.

I also suspect that the image saved from Illustrator as a PDF format should
display the spot colors but it does not. So the problem/solution might
start there.

Ed Nodland