This is not some fault, this only shows that you have set the columns to
balance (probably the default). Uncheck and the left column will fill
before anything is added to the right (or next) column, and then it will
stay filled.

Also notice that the balancing is also governed by the settings of the
settings of orphan/widow settings of the paragraphs.

HTH,
Bodvar Bjorgvinsson