I think the first step is to determine the value proposition of the product.
Then determine how much of that value must come from the engineers, and how
much your group can provide.  From there the responsibilities should shake out
on their own.  This may be a negotiation, but I think it's the first thing to
do.  If the value of the product is clear to the engineers, they're more likely
to contribute.  If you clarify what of that value is beyond your group's
capability, they will have a clear idea of what they must provide.  If you
clarify what your group will provide, then they will see you as adding value.

I would not deliver writing classes until you have taken care of the above.
Just my opinion...