Hi, Joseph.

You are not the only one who is abandoning FrameMaker ... if you look at my
posts in the past months, I have done the same although I have been using it
since 1988 off and on. I am still on the list for old times sake, though. :)

Please do send me your detailed reasons in an off-list e-mail - would like to
know your decision trigger! For me, it was the (a) recent over-pricing for some
version upgrades that should have been done as free bug fixes, (b) the Adobe
trend (albeit not yet announced for FrameMaker) to SAAS as the only licensing
mechanism, and (c) their abandonment of small users (i.e., number of licenses)
from their multi-year update licensing system.

Today, all my new documents are no longer in FrameMaker. I am only using it for
maintaining and changing old documents, and if the change is large enough, I
move it off FrameMaker. That takes a couple of days - even for the large
documents - and then I am fine for the future! In time, all my old documents
will be moved from FrameMaker.

However, I have not chosen Flare as my platform, although it looks quite
capable. Switching to it is expensive (of course, if they made me a $199
one-time offer to switch from FrameMaker to Flare, I would do it! :))

For now, for my needs (which may not apply to everybody), a combination of Word
2013 for short documents (less than 10 to 20 pages), and LaTex (for large
multi-hundred page specifications) is proving quite workable. Not perfect, and
not as flexible as FrameMaker, but the costly "upgrades" of FrameMaker is not
acceptable, and the trend to equally costly SAAS is a deal-breaker.

BTW, LaTeX in particular allows me to achieve *complete* look-and-feel
consistency in my specifications - formatting is separate from text entry - and
I value that highly. It was my reason for selecting FrameMaker over Word about
12 years ago for my current company.

Regards, and good luck!