Had this same problem a few years ago; as I recall there were two options.

First was to create books that were containers for the content files in all
the folders, and do the apply format.

The second was to ping Rick Quatro (I'm 90% sure it was Rick, but it could
have been another script wizard) to run up a FrameScript that worked its
way through the directory structure and did an apply formats to whatever it
found with an .fm extension. I believe the script also did a copy operation
at the beginning of the script, so we'd have a backup of the original
source to fall back to if necessary.

We tried a few manually, then opted for the script solution. Saved so much
time it didn't require thinking about.

Art Campbell
          art.campb...@gmail.com
  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.