Hey Matt,

I think some of the confusion on this topic stems from a misunderstanding about
what "As-Is" means. It doesn't mean "as the paragraph is defined" but instead
means "at the current setting as it sits in the file.” That current setting can
be different that the setting for the current paragraph tag. It may be the
current setting because you had a previous character tag define the size. In
that case applying a character tag with an "As-Is" size setting will result in
no change in the (incorrect) size of the text.

I agree with you about the dangers of updating within a text flow, but it's not
impossible to do that reliably. The scenario described below uses FM11, but I'm
pretty sure FM10 (and below) allow the same thing and it also allows
more-or-less global changing of a wrong text size within a file (see below for
the caveat).

If you call up the Character Designer from within a text flow by using Ctrl-D
and then select your named Character Tag from the drop down list the interface
shows only those elements the Char Tag is set to change (for example: Bold and
everything else As-Is.)

Selecting another characteristic and hitting Update All then applies only that
new selection and the Bold. To all occurrences of the tag. You can check this
by again doing a Ctrl-D and selecting the same Character Tag from the drop down
list.

I've had to do this a lot lately in converting a series of Word files to a FM
template. For some reason Bold and Italic text in the Word doc comes over as 12
pt text within a 10.5 pt Body Text paragraph format even though the char
formats don't touch the text size. Redefining the Bold and Italic char formats
to include setting the text to 10.5, Updating All and then immediately setting
them back to "As-Is" (so they again only affect the bolding or italicizing) and
again Updating All gets me the result I need without having to find each
occurrence of the char tag, manually resetting the text to Default Font and
then applying the clean char tag. But here's the caveat: If you have paragraph
formats that have different point sizes your "reset" to the chosen point size
will affect those as well. Those will have to be hunted down and changed via
the manual method of Default Font and clean tag application. Luckily in the
case of my Word docs that is a rare occurrence.

One thing we should all be learning from this is that you should never apply a
character tag that sets the font size unless it really needs to do that. In
those cases I put the point size in the Char Tag name so that it is clear what
it is doing. Oh yeah, and don't overlay char tags. Only the final one will be
shown as a named tag, but the effects of previous tags will affect the text in
ways that might baffle who think the text ought not to have the previously
applied characteristics. Instead use a tag that names all the elements you want
to change (like Bold-Italic) and use that instead.

Thanks.

Craig