Thanks to all who responded. Printing to Adobe PDF and then distilling preserved xrefs and color.

Long-term this does not solve my problem. I want to prepare a book for Kindle, which requires dynamic pages and PDF is not a dynamic format. Kindle deprecates PDF because the conversion from PDF to Kindle doesn't retain all formatting features. Amazon recommends Word as source. The FM6-to-Word save-as feature completely loses xrefs and font information. They become, for example, "xrefparatextefault ΒΆ Font" with the xref text gone. And pictures are lost completely. The conversion from FM to Word may work better in later releases of FM, but the reason I don't buy a newer version is this is the only book I have in FrameMaker.

Even if this all worked, the point may still be moot. My book has upwards of 20 xrefs per page, and I don't believe Kindle books even support cross-references (other than possibly table of contents).