I’ve done A LOT of this, and in my experience there is no easy way to do it —
although I was working with VERY complex files.

The DTP Tools product didn’t work for me, but again — the complexity of the
files may have been too much for their product.

Didn’t try MIF2Go, so can’t comment on that.

Had my best luck doing a lot of preprocessing on the FM file so that
conditional text, etc, could be identified later on, then exported as RTF, then
did a bunch of post processing in InDesign. Not hard, just time consuming.

Let me know if you’d like more info.

Best wishes,

     -dr