If your colleague is getting the question mark,
that's FrameMaker's way of telling you that "the font you have asked me to use
doesn't have a glyph for that character".

It's not uncommon for tech author's to be lumbered with using a font in a Frame
Template that someone in the company's Marketing Dept picked because it looks
nice, and that someone in the company's IT dept installed cos it was cheap,
without realising that it is doesn't have gylphs for a lot of useful technical
symbols etc...

If you've cut-and-pasted in from Word just by doing Ctrl+V, then chances are
you've over-ridden the Frame paragraph style and/or character style for the
surrounding text  (so Frame may not be trying to use the font you think it's
using) - to avoid this, paste into Frame using "Paste Special" and asking it to
paste as unformatted Unicode text (Alt, E, S, U, return).

Also make sure your PC has the most up-to-date version of the font installed,
as font vendors issue new versions every year or two, usually containing more
glyphs.  (Check in Control Panel > Font to find the version of the font that
you have, and on the vendor's website to see if there's a new version... and
then if it's not free, have fun emailing  Marketing & IT and trying to get them
to understand what you're talking about and why you'd like them to spend money
on a new version of a font...)

You may simply find that the font you have been told to use doesn't have a
glyph for the character you need. In that case, you can work around it by
making a special character style that will apply a suitable font which does
have the character...

David

Message: 4