If it is a cross reference, you'd want to edit that at the source text that is
creating the cross reference text. I'd suggest adjusting your work flow. If
your reviewers want to to edit the xref, they should click on the link and then
make the edit at the source that is providing the text. If the text is edited
there, the xref will take care of itself.

Craig