From: docu...@hotmail.com
To: craig...@hotmail.com; jeff.coatswo...@jonasclub.com;
framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: HTML Mapping Table
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:32:40 -0400

Yeah, and what a huge space savings it is. About 22 KB according to some tests
I ran a while back to see if it was worth the bother. If you delete it from 50
files, you'll save a whole megabyte. Delete it from 50,000 files and you'll
save a whole gigabyte, or about 0.2% of a typical internal hard drive.

The way I see it, the HTML mapping reference page causes no harm, causes only a
very minor inconvenience with its presence (how many times do you actually go
into the references pages for a given file, anyway?), and takes up an
insignificant amount of additional disk space, even if I'm compulsive and save
20 intermediate versions of a document. It's simply not worth my time to pay
any attention to it.

In my experience, people who get obsessive about removing *all* unused formats
and features from FrameMaker documents spend a lot of time for no day-to-day
performance or stability improvement, and often inadvertently break something
in the bargain. If a legacy document works properly, don't go looking for
trouble in the name of reducing file size, because gigabytes are very cheap
these days--on the order of $0.10 per gigabyte. And for most of us, $0.10 only
pays for about 10 *seconds* of our time.

-Fred Ridder