Your FM8 templates should work fine in FM12 and you've already discovered that some plugins will need updates to work.

You said you lost your FM8 disk. It probably wouldn't work anyway, since there was a Windows change that broke it. You can download a fixed version of the installation file (labeled as "XP SP3 fix") here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows
You would, of course, need your license key to install it. If you've lost that, you should be able to get it from your My Adobe account. Otherwise, the free Belarc Advisor can retrieve it for you.

Mike Wickham