Right on, about automatic upgrades. They should be optional.

Here's the gotcha! Should be plural, not singular:

   1. Adobe suffers from the inability to cohesively deal with post sale
   help issues within a product by version, or by PDF's, on-line, forums,
   including **in-person tech support*. Adobe suffers? So do we!
   2. Adobe displays an endemic nonchalance to providing focused answers to
   questions without misdirecting the issue to other releases, some being
   several years old with different interfaces.
   3. Additionally, while seeking a legitimate answer to one thing or the
   other, it's not helpful to be smacked in the face with salubrious
   advertising, especially, a) if it's redundant to a current subscription.
   (How many times to I need to subscribe to the same products in the same
   suite?), or b) it's for any other product which Adobe's
   kaleidoscopic visionaries are favoring.

**Case in point:*

   1. to my pleasant surprise, twice, last week, I receive a call from
   Frame Tech Support in New Delhi regarding Frame 12's 2nd patch creating a
   shrunken pear shape when installed in Windows 8.1.
   2. I was informed that my issue was not the first. (Cool, I'm not the
   only thorn among roses.)
   3. Here's the rub! The tech, via Adobe Connect, was operating in Windows
   7 Pro, a fact not provided me until the end of call number two.
      1. He could see that Frame 12 and the 1st patch were not corrupted.
      2. He could see the mess caused by the 2nd patch.
      3. So he tweaked my registry, whereupon, I began to suspect he was
      not using or familiar with Windows 8.1. His pointer was from the wrong
      kennel.
      4. He admitted failure and decided to escalate the issue and assured
      me I would hear from Adobe a/o yesterday. (Monday, the 19th.
Tuesday in New
      Delhi, giving the escalator repairman an extra day to de-kink it.)
      5. Meanwhile, the computer was now acting odd. So, on Sunday, I did a
      complete repair within 8.1 (Several hours were dedicated
      to repairing Adobe's well meaning but ill prepared support.)
      6. FYI, I have received no contact from Adobe via email, telephone,
      or carrier pigeon.

Today, I am running Frame 12 without any patches. It works fine. Who knows
what I'm missing from the subsequent patches? Bad joke intended!

Thanks, Steve, for getting on Maxwell for his well intended, though myopic,
marketing pitch which sounded like: "hurry up. All aboard. Train's leaving!"

When I take the A Train, I expect to get where I'm going. My apologies to
Duke Ellington.

Ted

Ps. Word Mongers - hmm, nice name. I've been called a Word Carver. I hope
it was a compliment!

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Steve Rickaby <
srick...@wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> With all respect to Maxwell, special offers do not answer Rick's point.
> Adobe has generated *massive* ill-will over its licensing policies; I only
> hope this this is reflected in some substantive way, such as the stock
> price, that will cause it to rethink.
>
> >Incidentally, if a major release comes out (e.g. FrameMaker 13) during
> your subscription, you are automatically upgraded at no extra cost.
>
> This is often touted as an advantage of cloud-based services, but is in
> fact a Really Bad Thing, as it can invalidate an organization's substantial
> investment in training and expertise by changing user interfaces and
> capabilities without warning - not to mention, er..., causing disruption to
> productivity (modesty forbids me from putting this more strongly, although
> I'd like to).
>
> Just my 10c.
>
> --
> Steve Rickaby BSc MBCS CITP MISTC  <
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/steverickaby>
> WordMongers Ltd                    <http://www.wordmongers.com>
> [FrameMaker user and evangelist since 1993]
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/mtedsteinberg%40gmail.com
>
> Send administrative questions to listad...@frameusers.com. Visit

Ted Steinberg