No, it doesn't render them as JPEGs because there is no rendering involved. The
zip archive that is the .docx file contains the source graphic files in
whatever format they were in when inserted into the Word document. Just look in
the Word/media folder inside the archive.

What this approach does *not* handle, though, is easy access to any embedded
OLE objects, such as Visio drawings or PowerPoint graphics. These show up in
the Word/embeddings folder as binary objects that are not usable outside of
Word.

Also note that it is not necessary to change the extension of the Word filename
if you have a real zip tool like WinZip rather than using Windows' own zip
feature. Just choose "All files (*.*)" in the WinZip Open dialog, and you can
open the .docx archive directly.

-Fred Ridder