Hi Adam...

You'll need to get the variable definition value from a document in the book, not the book itself, so you'll need to set up some process to iterate through the book components and get an appropriate document (perhaps the first non-generated component?). Once you get the document you can open it and query it for the value of the variable definition using something like this ..

    var doc = app.ActiveDoc;
    var varFmt = doc.GetNamedObject (Constants.FO_VarFmt, "Issue Number");
    var varValue = varFmt.Fmt;

If you haven't already, you'll want to grab the samples graciously provided by Russ from West Street Consulting ..

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_ExtendScriptSamples.htm

Good luck!

...scott

Scott Prentice