Has someone published a modernized set of rules for web-safe fonts
that ensure larger character sets are displayed correctly?

You'd think that by 2014 curly quotes would be safe, but I encountered
missing-glyph icons for some just the other day, on a page where the
character set was UTF-8, using the latest version of Firefox on
Windows 7.

At my last job, one of the single-source targets for some of my docs
was 7-bit ASCII.