This is one of the more common and frustrating mis-conceptions I see in the FrameMaker community .... that publishing to ePub and other newer output formats requires structured FrameMaker. In fact, even when working with structured source files, FrameMaker's style mappings are based on paragraph and character formats, not elements.

If you are comfortable with unstructured FrameMaker, and have unstructured source files, I would start by experimenting with FrameMaker's eBook capabilities there. File > Publish. Choose your target format, and click the "Edit Settings" button. Play with the "Style Mapping" tab and see how that affects your results.

Configuring structured FrameMaker presents a daunting learning curve, that I would not recommend climbing unless you have clear requirements to do so. And FrameMaker's DocBook implementation is..., well..., anybody who tries to use it for real work is in for a world of hurt.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532