I added an "Anformation..." index marker as you suggested and made a
standalone index for this document. Both the new and existing markers
sorted correctly under "A" and "I". So the document itself appears to be
OK. Then I generated a new test index for the whole book and, voilĂ , both
sorted correctly. So the error is (apparently) not in the book.

That leaves, possibly, corruption in the first index document. I thought
that with corruption I might see the wrong sort of that marker as well as
the correct sort. And if the first index file is corrupted would all other
updates to it appear correctly?

What else might affect this function?

Thanks again,
Karen