Craig,

It sounds like you got hit with the Windows XP bug that caused intermittent, unexplained dropping of text in PDFs. As I recall, the problem was with the MS Postscript processor. There was a Microsoft hotfix issued to deal with it. At the time, the problem and fix were pretty well known on this forum.

Mike Wickham