Many of us took advantage of Maxwell Hoffman's kind offer of a promotional GM build of TechCommSuite 5 earlier this year during a invitational sneak peak webinar. Your mileage may vary, but here is what happened to me. I was unable to install the patches, and my most recent attempt managed to corrupt something in Framemaker that now prevents me from printing a book and causes Frame to crash when RoboHelp tries to access linked files. So I knew I'd need to reinstall TCS5. When I have installed previous versions, I've always had a safety net of having the same version installed on a different CPU, but this time I don't. If something gets screwed up, I have no way to earn a living during the downtime.So I've been very cautious, backing up everything and carefully reviewing everything. I wanted to make sure that my license and serial numbers were still intact but I didn't see the TCS5 license in Adobe's list of my licensed products. So I checked and learned that the serial number that Max gave us is an expiring number (end of November). I misunderstood the offer: I thought that we needed to download the software before the offer expired; I didn't realize that we didn't have a bona fide license.

So I coughed up the $699 for an upgraded TCS5 license today. I'm still waiting to get the new serial number. A message on Adobe.com says it may take up to 24 hours to generate. So much for getting it installed today when I had time.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I had tried to reinstall using the promo serial number AFTER it expires in November, but I suspect the install would have failed. So be aware that if you are using the promotional license, you may experience problems with upgrading, as I did, and may not be able to reinstall if you need to. As I said, your mileage may vary.

Carol

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773