I practice a version of Laura’s approach for our User Manuals – where I create
8 manuals from one set of files (to be fair, 4 manual are “full manuals” of
about 400 letter-sized pages, while the other 4 are subsets of the 4 “full
manuals” and contain only about 25% of the full content).

To keep everything straight, I have a separate set of Book files for each
version. The book files consist of

·         Manual Name book.book

·         Manual Name bookTOC.book

·         Manual Name Cover.fm.

The book files are kept in a “Book” directory below the standard content (which
in my case is another 21 *.fm files). I copy in only the book files I need as
I’ve found that having all 24 book files mixed in with the 21 content files
makes for a messy work environment.

I also keep a set of what I call “Var Doc” files – one for each of the 8
manuals – in a Var Doc directory. These Variable files allow me to change
variables (product names, part numbers, revision numbers, etc) in a matter of
seconds in order to produce any manual I need. They also allow me to create Var
Doc files for the translation bureau (on a per manual/language basis) so the
translators can quickly update translated variables. (Just be sure to keep the
Variables names consistent between all the Variable files or you’ll have a real
mess on your hands.)

Alison

Alison Craig | Technical Documentation Lead
Ultrasonix | 130-4311 Viking Way | Richmond, BC  V6V 2K9 |
analogicultrasound.com<http://www.analogicultrasound.com>
T 604-279-8550 ext 127 | F 604-279-8559