Hi David

Thanks for your reply. Either option would work to some extent, but there will be some work involved. Hyphens are intended in certain phrases, e.g. state-of-the-art. And I have a lot of files, so saving as MIF would be a pain. Pity; I was hoping to do something at the book level, but it seems to be not an option.

I could save as Word docs, make the changes, then reopen in FM. (No, I'm kidding!)

Roger

On 29/12/2014 4:10 PM, David Artman wrote:
Roger, do you have many instances where a hyphen *is* intended? If not,
  you could brute-force replace all then go back and tune those you
didn't want replaced (e.g., if they're, say, part numbers in a handful
of tables).
Alternately, export to MIF and use any programmer's text editor (e.g.,
Notepad++) to do a regular expression search and replace, similar to
your Word example. Then open MIF and re-save as FM.
HTH;
David

    -------- Original Message --------
    From: Roger Shuttleworth <shutti...@gmail.com
    <mailto:shutti...@gmail.com>>
    Date: Mon, December 29, 2014 9:23 am

    Hello All

    I'm using FrameMaker 11.

    I have a document containing a lot of number ranges that use a hyphen
    instead of an en-dash; for example, 1-3. I'd like to replace the hyphen
    while preserving the preceding and following numbers.

    In Word I'd use a wildcard search for ([0-9])-([0-9]) and replace with
    \1-\2, where \1 and \2 represent the values in the parentheses (and
    sorry, I can't type an en-dash in this message). When I try this
    with FM
    it doesn't find anything.

    How do you preserve the values in FM?

    Thanks.