I see Pam gave you most of the answer. Just a few things to add:

1. If the first few sections do not have footers (front, copyright, change page), I would put them in the same chapter for your own convenience. The TOC should have headers/footers and generally has roman numeral page numbering (i, ii, iii).

2. There are two places to change the pagination, in the chapter file and in the book. In the book, you right-click and select pagination. In the chapter, you do it as Pam described. I always set my pagination in the book so as not to get confused. I'm not an expert on this and if anyone else has advice on it I'd love to hear.

--
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer