From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Fred Ridder
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:11 PM
To: David Artman; Tim Pann; framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Conditional text by paragraph tag?

David Artman wrote:
5) Generate output and peruse. DO NOT save FM files yet! If it boked a couple
of times, fix thm; if it borked a ton; rollback to your
backup.fm<http://backup.fm> files (you DO automatically save
backup.fm<http://backup.fm> files every save, riiiight? ;) )

No, in fact I *don't* let FrameMaker generate .backup.fm files because they
aren't really backups. They are just renamed versions of the *previous* saved
version of the file.

Say you open a document FileA.fm. You make a whole slew of changes, and then do
a Save. You figure that the newly saved FileA.fm is identical to
FileA.backup.fm because you had FrameMaker make a "backup" upon saving, right.
Wrong. FileA.backup.fm is the *original* file that you opened, *before* you
made any changes to it. The "backup" is always one set of changes behind the
content that a real backup would have in it. (And since Frame won't even let
you do a Save unless you've changed *something*, the current saved version and
the "backup" can *never* be identical.) So rolling back to the automatic
"backup" will actually lose you the last set of changes that were in your last
save.

-Fred Ridder

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the
use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.