From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Ryan
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:21 PM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Frame vs. Flare for My Needs

Hi,

I could use the advice of some Frame veterans on whether a switch from Frame to
Flare might be a delusion-inspired wrong turn for me, or possibly the right way
to go.

My company's primary documentation output is PDF user/training/reference guides
authored on FrameMaker 7. Not the current Frame version, I know, but sufficient
with our good templates to produce solid, professional-looking documents we're
proud of. Other current deliverables include context-sensitive HTML topics
produced via Mif2go and a limited number of "Process Assistance" MS Word
topics.  These latter are a sort of MS-Word help equivalent that our customers
can download from our application, edit if necessary, and even upload back into
our application for others if they want to. I create Process Assistance MS-Word
topics by cutting from Frame and pasting into Word, followed by manual
reformatting (ouch).

Our customers (utilities) have been requesting another MS Word output:
Editable MS Word versions of our 20-300 page PDF manuals so that they can edit
them for their own purposes (such as internal training).  Unfortunately, we've
been unable to find a workable Frame-to-Word conversion process to this end.  I
can do manual reformatting to Word in our short Process Assistance topics, but
to do it on entire manuals would give me a nervous breakdown.

So, with better MS-Word output generation as my primary goal, I've been
considering a switch to Flare. Its capability to output in PDF, Word, and HTML
seems as though it might ultimately streamline our processes. As I test Flare
by my 30-day trial, though, I'm reminded of the many things FrameMaker does
really well - things I might be losing if I made the switch:  For example,
precise page layouts, complex graphics, robust tables. To its credit, Flare
seems to offer output versatility, excellent documentation and support, and a
lot of Marketing momentum.

Am I misguiding myself?  Barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any opinions or comments.

Kevin Ryan
Technical Writer
[cid:image001.jpg@01C97FA7.A9E51B40]
Systems & Software, Inc.
426 Industrial Avenue
Suite 140
Williston, VT 05495
802.865.1170 phone
802.865.1171 fax

Save the Date! 2015 Harris Customer Training
Conference:<http://www1.harriscomputer.com/en/conference/>
October 21-23, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia - Atlanta Marriott Marquis.