Actually, I think a script is probably the easiest way.

Or .. you could download and install the trial of my FM2DITA plugin. One of the commands is "Catalog Report" which will generate a list of most styles, formats, and named objects (of which variable definitions are one) in the current document.

    http://leximation.com/tools/info/fm2dita.php

Most of the commands in this plugin will limit the amount of processing you can do with the trial, but I'm pretty sure that this command has no such limitations. It'll give you 30 days to do what you want .. so it might be worth the effort to install. Just run the installer and get a trial auth code .. don't bother with any of the other install instructions (unless of course you want to try a DITA conversion).

Cheers,

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.
www.leximation.com