Hi Cathy,

Long time no hear.

Would this be what you are looking for?

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css3_multiple_columns.asp

Regards
Alan

On 31/03/15 11:15 am, Cathy Giddens wrote:
Hi framers.

I’m on Windows 7, FM10, all patched. I’ve got TCS 3 but quite frankly,
I’ve forgotten what to do with the whole Robohelp side of it. I had
‘retired’ ie, quit, but came back for this project, to the company that
purchased the data that I published for the previous employer for 19 years.

Background

Old job but for new employer, one year contract. I’m creating html, for
a new website (containing book content which was previously hardcopy and
pdf, access will be by subscription to more or less the identical
customer base who were used to my nice pdf which had navigation home
page, toc’s, chapter tocs, index, cross-references etc etc. I have
learnt how to tweak a css sheet and keep a permanent version of it,
rather than the fresh version created by FM each time, to overcome some
of the unwanted style conversion issues. To overcome the blunt
instrument that is the search facility on the website (key word
searching only so if the exact phrase isn’t found, no result), I’m
keeping the index. In FM this is in 3 columns, with a Framescript set of
ChapterTOC  cross references for the A, B, C’s, creating a key to jump
to the required letter. (The GroupTitlesIX aren’t part of the upload
process so this is a workaround).

My question

How do I get the 3 index columns to translate into the html markup, so
my index is useable instead of 1 column by 6 metres long on my screen
(that’s 20 feet). The css sheet only covers the content style, the
column information gets dropped out altogether. The markup in the html
pages doesn’t seem to include anything relating to columns, according to
the web designer who’s had a look at it. (One thought I had was to get
the index populating into a 3 column table but this isn’t working).

The css sheet will be ‘permanent’ so I can do some edits in there, if I
only knew what. The web developers don’t know Framemaker, they’ve been
working on the whole subscription side and writing the uploader that
installs my html files to the website, and my input was only sought well
through the project...

Many thanks for any suggestions

*Cathy Giddens*

*Quantity Surveyor*

Phone: +64 21 268 5289

*qvgroup.qv.co.nz <http://www.qvgroup.qv.co.nz>*

PPlease consider the environment before printing this email

This email message and any attachments contain information that is
confidential and may be legally privileged. Quotable Value’s consent to
receive information electronically is not implied by the fact that you
have received this email. If you are not the intended recipient, any
use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of
Quotable Value. If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message and
attachments. Thank you.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/alan%40alphabyte.co.nz

Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte