I think you answered your own question -- if you do need custom scripts to
do DITA and the company can't afford it, it can't afford it.

Given that you probably know FM better than Flare, I'd do FM over Flare
because unstructured Flare isn't going to buy you much, if anything, and
there's still a steep learning curve.

If it was me, and it was a newish project without tons of legacy content
for conversion, I'd use FM with FMx.

If there are tons of legacy content, I'd probably run unstructured Frame
and convert later when there was time and money available.

Art Campbell
          art.campb...@gmail.com
  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.