It sounds like you are putting all the chapters in one FrameMaker file. Generally people who use FrameMaker put each chapter in a separate file and add all the files to a Book file. Are you doing that? If yes, then each chapter automatically restarts the numbering unless you select otherwise in the file's Numbering properties.

--
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer