Cross-posted to Framers and WWP-users

Hello All

My question relates to the software industry, so feel free to delete now
if that's not relevant to you.

I was talking to my manager and developers today. We are looking into
the possibility of automating Help and PDF generation in the software
build process, using our present tools of FrameMaker 7.1 and WWP (v.7
and/or WWeP). The ideal scenario would be:

1. Build process fires up WWP (via command line/API?).

2. WWP takes Frame source files and generates Help files.

3. Build process incorporates Help files into build.

4. Build process fires up PDF generation from Frame.

5. Build process incorporates PDF into build.

I'm wondering if anyone on the list has experience in this, or whether
it is actually possible in whole or in part. It sounds unlikely to me,
given that WWP rarely performs flawlessly in my experience and manual
intervention is usually required.

There may be other tools that could accomplish this (e.g. a DITA
workflow, CMS, etc.), but before we investigate those I need to know
whether it is doable with what we have. Any suggestions would be
welcome. Thanks.

Roger Shuttleworth

London, Canada

Roger Shuttleworth
Documentation Team Lead
Activplant Corporation
140 Fullarton Street, 9th Floor
London, ON N6A 5P2 Canada
Tel. 519 668-7336

Fax. 519 668-3227

www.activplant.com <http://www.activplant.com/>

Activplant Manufacturing Intelligence Summit
<mailto:Floridamisummit at activplant.com>

February 19-21, 2006

Wyndham Orlando Resort, Orlando, Florida

Registration now open:

http://www.activplant.com/summit06/
<blocked::http://www.activplant.com/summit06/>

The information in this email is confidential and is
intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email
by anyone else is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to
be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  Please contact privacy at activplant.com for
cases where you have received this email and were not
the intended recipient.