Thank you for your kind replies.  As I said, this is my first EDD and
there's a lot I don't know so please bear with me.  I set up the
numbering in the EDD (I want to minimize the available elements, and
instead have the properties governed by where they appear):

If level is 1:
If context is: {first}
   Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: <n=1>.\t
Else
   Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: <n+>.\t

Else, if level is: 2
   If context is: ul
      Numbering properties
         Autonumber format: \b\t
Else
   If context is: {first}
      Numbering properties
         Autonumber format: <a=1>.\t
Else
   Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: <a+>.\t

There's more to it, of course.  There is no opportunity in the EDD
won't let me put in a letter with a colon, n: or a:.  Hope this helps.

I'm doing it the EDD way so that no matter where a LI occurs, it will
be formatted correctly depending on where it is: numbered, bulleted,
first, middle, table (haven't figured that one out yet, had to create
a new element and para format), etc.